The Roan Group is proud to present two Golden Age boxing comedies on one incredible collectors edition DVD.
Often considered Harold Lloyds best talkie, Leo McCarey’s The Milky Way finds Lloyd playing Buleigh “Tiger” Sullivan, a milkman who becomes a boxer after it appears he has knocked out a middleweight champion Speed McFarlane (William Gargan) in a street brawl. Unscrupulous manager Gabby Sloan (Oscar®-nominee Adolphe Menjou) want to manage Buleigh as a real contender, in a series of fixed fights, only to have him lose a match against the champ as the unaware Buliegh beings to believe in his own powers. Kid Dynamite also stars Lionel Stander (Mr. Deeds Goes to Town, “Hart to Hart”) as Speed’s bodyguard Spider Schultz.
Leo Gorcey, Huntz Hall and the East Side Kids star in Wallace W. Fox’s Kid Dynamite. East Side boxing champion Ehtelbert “Muggs” McGinnis (Gorcey) has been challenged to fight the West Side champion, after a pool game hustle gone wrong, but is kidnapped before the match. Muggs’s friend Danny (Bobby Jordan) must take his place and win the fight for the pride of the East Side. Kid Dynamite also features one of the greatest dance sequences ever committed to film.
The Roan Group Boxing Comedy Twin Bill also includes a number of great special features you will not find anywhere else:
- An introduction and film history by Lou Lumenick, Chief Film Critic for the New York Post
- Exclusive interview with John G. Avildsen (Oscar®-winning director of Rocky) about the art of the boxing movie
- Interview with Lloyd Kaufman on the history of boxing films
- Notes and background information on Kid Dynamite and The Milky Way
- More action, with a bonus episode of The New Adventures of Tarzan
- and much more!